Thursday, December 6, 2007

South Asian Blood, Sweat, and Tears In The Middle East

Just consider the words of Kumari Indunil, age 23, a former domestic worker in Kuwait:

‘Even if I went to bed at 3:30 a.m., I had to get up by 5:30 a.m… I had continuous work until 1:00 a.m., sometimes 3:00 a.m.... Once I told the employer, “I am a human like you and I need an hour to rest.” She told me, “You have come to work; you are like my shoes, and you have to work tirelessly.”

‘The conditions were getting worse. I told the employer that I wanted to leave but she would not take me to the agency…. [Her husband] would say, “You want to go, you want to go?” and he would pull my hair and beat me with his hands.

He went to the kitchen and took a knife and told me he would kill me, cut me up into little pieces, and put the little pieces of me in the cupboard… By this time they owed me four months’ salary….There are more and more innocent women going abroad, and planning to go.

It is up to the women to care of themselves. The [Sri Lankan] government gets a good profit from us; they must take care of us. They must do more to protect us.’

Read more,
http://www.indolink.com/displayArticleS.php?id=120607065031

No comments: