Sunday, May 13, 2007

“I know nothing about politics” – Maj. Gen. Janaka Perera

My fellow officers in the army, navy, air force and the police, who fought valiantly in the battle field, deserve the honour of my popularity. I was able to command recognition among the armed forces by fighting with a sense of responsibility for the lives of the soldiers who were our assets and achieving many victories in the battlefield. We were victorious at Weli Oya, without the support of the Special Forces.

On July 22, I received a letter from the Headquarters removing me from operational duties and appointing me as Chief of Staff. I lost only a post but the country lost many things with that. However, I command respect among the police and security personnel, who were in the operational areas with me and the people of the country. I consider it the position bestowed on me.

In 2001, a friend of UNP Leader Ranil Wickremesinghe telephoned me and invited me to contest the elections. A friend of Mangala Samaraweera also made the same request. However, I refused their proposals. I was offered the post of Deputy Minister of Defence, but I preferred to serve as Ambassador in Australia.

The LTTE says Janaka Perera is a dangerous man. They published it in their websites as well. I am not a politician. I was in the army for 34 years and in the Diplomatic missions for six years. However, I never forget the soldiers who were with me and their families.

Read more,
http://www.nation.lk/2007/05/13/inter1.htm
Photo,
http://www.nation.lk/2007/05/13/inter1.htm

No comments: